This year I’m going to try something slightly different with my Wednesday Praise days. All too often we focus on the yucky things in our lives and forget to count our blessings. Oh, if blessings are big enough, we yell them from the rooftops. They’re like neon signs in our lives. But what about our small-ordinary-everyday-blessings? I want to start to call attention to them, because God isn’t just about the big, but He’s also incredibly into the details. Here goes:
So my health hasn’t been the greatest lately (yep, I know, doesn't sound like a blessing, but stick with me, the counting is about to begin). My son—who apparently is taking our theme of ‘sharing’ very seriously—decided to grace me with his cold. Then there’s the little matter of my thyroid—I don’t have one. And my body decided to stop absorbing my medication. Did you know that such a little thing could make a huge difference? Yeah. Ask Hubby. He has to live with me. It was in the vows.
While I could easily focus on (umm…or more honestly, keep focusing on) the yucky way I feel, here's where I start counting my blessings.
1. Praising God for my taste buds. While I may not have been able to smell my coffee this morning, I sure could taste it! Oh, and the lovely creamer I added. Which reminds me…
2. Praising God for coffee creamer and that Mr. Budget said I could get some this week!
3. Praising God for Post-It Notes and Legal Pads. My brain is slightly foggy lately (side effect of low thyroid) and they are currently serving as my memory. Which works great until my six-year-old moves them.
4. Praising God for hands that work. I have a fellow writer friend whose arm is currently in a sling with lots of pins in it. That’s like a runner with a broken leg, an artist with cataracts, a chef with a burnt tongue...you get the picture.
5. Praising God for my overall health. When I look around me at others who have far larger health issues than myself, I realize how truly blessed I am.
What blessings will you count today?